Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Word of Encouragement This Lord's Day

I had to come back and put in a word of encouragement today this the Lord's day.

Genesis 3:7-10 "And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself."

I find great comfort in the book of Genesis, not only do I have no need to wonder from where we came or how the world was made, I also see the amazing nature of Almighty God and His amazing display of grace for lost sinners. Notice Adam and Eve's effort to cover their sin. They chose to hide their sin with the work of their hands by sewing fig leaves to try and cover themselves. They also TRIED to hide from God. The text offers no space of time from the sin of man to God seeking and calling out to them.

But notice what Adam did when God questioned him about what they had done: Genesis 3:12 "And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat." Adam did not admit his disobedience, but in effect blamed God because it was the "The woman thou gavest to be with me" 's fault! Does that not sound like us, always finding some excuse for our sin?

But thanks be to God that immediately He provided a remedy for them! In Genesis 3:21 we read "Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them."
God provided them with coverings of His doing, not their own. Teaching them how we are to rightly approach Him and of the importance of the shedding of an innocent victim's blood, because Hebrews 9:22 says "And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission."

And then the promise of a Saviour (who's blood it is that will cleanse us) to come in Genesis 3:15: "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

Thank God He did not leave them to figure out for themselves what His righteous requirements are.

No comments: